Operational research (O.R.) is the discipline of applying advanced analytical methods to help make better decisions. By using techniques such as problem structuring methods and mathematical modelling to analyse complex situations, operational research gives executives the power to make more effective decisions and build more productive systems. The Society's main function is to enable members to acquire, share and exchange this knowledge. It does this by providing information and technical ideas through this website, through its many publications, and through a full range of conferences and courses.
Membership Opportunities, Award and Qualifications
As a Member of the Operational Research Society you can:
- You can register as a Chartered Scientist (CSci).
- The members' resources on this website offer many facilities to enable members to find the information they need, share ideas and experiences, network and keep in touch with developments, including Member’s visible profiles and a document repository.
- Every full member of The OR Society is currently entitled to receive at no extra cost any one of The Journal of the Operational Research Society and Inside OR.
- Members are welcome to join Regional Societies. They organise regular meetings which are a good way to keep in touch with other O.R. people in your locality. The OR Society also organises around 20 Special Interest Groups in application areas as diverse as Agriculture and Health and technique areas from Forecasting to Mathematical Programming.
- The OR Society offer training courses that use the most comprehensive training programmes with a wide range of topics.
- They offer awards and scholarships which aim to encourage advances in operational research. These include the Beale Medal, The Goodeve Medal, The Cook Medal and many more.
Website and Contact Information:
Tel: 44 (0)121 233 9300