Breedon Group plc is the largest independent construction materials group in the UK. We operate the country’s largest cement plant, two cement import terminals, around 60 quarries, 26 asphalt plants, 200 ready-mixed concrete & mortar plants and three concrete block plants, employing around 2,300 people nationwide.
As a graduate Control Systems Engineer, you will report to the Senior Control Systems Engineer. The role will expose you to a diverse range of application computers, software, control and instrumentation technology all used to maintain our plant's optimum performance. Our process is a 24/7 operation, and the control systems are an essential link to ensuring operational standards remain consistently high, downtime is minimised and efficiency is maximised.
This is a unique opportunity to gain access at entry level, for a graduate engineer. We are looking for a candidate with a degree in Automation and Control, or Control and Systems Software, or similar. It is desirable that the degree be Institution of Engineering Technology accredited.
You will have the following attributes:
- Highly motivated, with a passion for learning and ability to innovate.
- Aspiration to be a leader or specialist within an engineering environment.
- Strong and effective communicator and team player.
- High degree of skill with the MS office tools set.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
You will be expected to demonstrate the following:
- Safety culture awareness – take responsibility for your own safety and that of colleagues and business partners.
- Ownership for your own professional development, willing to fill gaps in own knowledge and experience through taking a pro-active approach to learning, and seeking information from within and outside the company.
- Develop knowledge and skills in the preparation of engineering plans, URS FDS’s, specifications and system design to ensure these are delivered to time, quality, and cost parameters.
- Build a working knowledge of our process, systems and strategies for implementation.
The role will eventually lead to you providing expert support, analysing performance, specifying improvements, adjusting control systems and ensuring compliance and maintain up to date documentation. You’ll also be able to investigate issues, generate solutions and resolutions and promote a culture of continuous improvement within our operations and maintenance teams and be part of an on call system to provide out of hours automation support.
In addition to training on the site's various systems, sponsorship for further training including Chartered Engineer and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - Server 2008 and 2012 will be made available.
Over time, you will gain exposure to and experience in a number of technologies and systems, including system design, configuration, maintenance and upgrade work with associated generation of Graphics, Control Modules and Equipment Modules.
The Group places the highest importance on sustained standards of excellence in all aspects of Health, Safety and Environmental management and you will be expected to contribute to the Company’s zero harm culture.
A competitive remuneration package will be offered including pension and life assurance.